Fall Sports Recap

The regular season for fall sports is almost over and the performance of our teams, and individual student athletes put on in the past 3 months. 

Girls tennis has been hot all year hence their undefeated season. Sophomore, Bridget Cunnison, varsity tennis player for the Royals said, “Girls tennis is having an amazing season with a super strong lineup. We just crushed the Dons and are on our way to win Channel League undefeated!” 

Girls tennis photo courtesy of SM Yearbook

“As of now the score is 13-0, in the last league match on the 21st of October against Santa Barbara,” says sophomore singles starter, Cristina Wickline.

Varsity football is working with new resources and this seems to be known as a recovery season for them. They have a new coaching staff and it looks like Coach Molina will be making a change this season. They started their season 2-0 and then a steady decrease from there. Starting quarterback, senior, Joaquin Sandoval injured himself in the crosstown game against Santa Barbara. It was an ankle injury that resulted in a sitting season this far. This may be one component to the slowing down season the Royals have been facing. Junior, Josh Engel, the secondary QB has taken charge and is showing his worth on the field. Josh will be the starter next year as a senior. 

Football photo courtesy of of SM Yearbook

Andre McCullough said, “Varsity has had some tough losses recently and it’s been a little upsetting. But I think all we really need is the right mindset and some dedication. As a team ever since the Santa Barbara loss we’ve been less devoted to the game, but after coming together and reflecting on our gameplay I think we might have a chance for playoffs. Our next game is this Friday where we will be playing at Channel Islands, and I’m very confident we should win. Our goal this year has been to change the way people look at San Marcos Football and I think with a little bit of heart and some royal spirit, we can get the job done.” 

This exact attitude is what we want from a team leader who will be in his senior year next year.

A big part of football is cheer. You might see their outstanding halftime performances, and Royal spirit at every game. They always bring the hype, and know how to keep the crowd pumped up. “I have been cheering for all four years of high school. We work really hard every week to create cool new dances and stunts. It’s definitely not as easy as everyone thinks. We have had a lot of injuries but we always bounce back. It’s important we cheer for our football team to keep them motivated.” said senior cheer captain Victoria Leyva. 

Girls cheer photo courtesy of SM Yearbook

Girls volleyball has been in command and they have been ON! They’ve lost two games all season and have won the rest! The two games they lost were  tough both against crosstown rivals, SB and DP. 

“I feel like it has made us want the league title even more and we’ve been working extra, both on and off the court to prepare for our upcoming matches.” said sophomore Eloise Mcgibben about the girls’ momentum after the two crosstown rival losses.

They have been on a roll and those losses were minor setbacks, but they are in store for a major comeback. 

Girls golf has been doing very well too. For a small team, with only 8 players, they’re tied for 2nd and have only lost 3 this season! They have won 6 tourneys. 

Girls golf photo courtesy of SM Yearbook

“We have all been improving by the day.” says Stella Ashamalla, a leader of the golf team.

Boys beach volleyball was HOT going into playoffs. They have been playing really well, their duos have been Luke Walker and Hansen Streeter, Clifford Ficker, and Jack Garcia, and Collin Earls with Zach Willbanks. I asked junior Hansen Streeter what his thoughts are on the team and how they have been this season and he said, “Our team had a lot of depth which carried us to the finals down at Hermosa beach. We are happy to say we got second place for the California division. Can’t wait to win next season.” Great job this season boys and good luck in the playoffs!

Boys beach volleyball photo courtesy of SM Yearbook

Boys water polo has been doing really well. Their record is 7-5 and they are pushing for a CIF championship. Senior varsity water polo player Hank Jessup, is having his last season with his boys. 

I asked about what he thinks about his teams success, and he said “Pretty stoked at the start of the season but we are soft right now because we have a couple starters and multiple other players that have been out due to concussions but we are hoping that we will be strong before CIF and hopefully dominate.” 

Best of luck to the remainder of the water polo season! And great job to all of their players. 

Boys water polo courtesy of SM Yearbook

The boys and girls cross country have been really stellar this season. The team has been working really hard and if you look outside of your window in 4th period, you’d see them on they’re 16th mile with ease. They have very tough workouts and a lot of perseverance.