San Marcos Boy’s Tennis

SMHS Boys Tennis Instagram

San Marcos Boy’s Tennis Team

As the spring season for sports is halfway done, here is an overview of boys tennis. The Boys tennis team here at San Marcos has had an outstanding season so far with an undefeated record. They have defeated both of their biggest rivals Santa Barbara High School and Dos Pueblos High School, putting them in first place for Channel League.

“So far, we’ve been undefeated,” said freshman Carter Cotich, “and although there hasn’t been a ton of competition, there’s a lot of good individual players on the teams we play against.”

The team consists of all grade levels, including two freshmen, which makes the team well-rounded and diverse. The number one doubles partners, twins Joe and Charlie Friedman, have been undefeated this season. 

“Most of the time, playing with my brother is great,” said senior Joe Friedman. “We’ve been playing together for 10-14 years, but not exclusively”.

Some important matches are coming up after spring break at Westlake and Dos Pueblos as well as the Ojai Invitational Tournament at the start of April. If they continue to dominate, they have a good chance of winning Channel League and making it far into CIFs. They have had eight games so far and won all eight of them, with 20 individual games won as a team. 

As serious and competitive the sport is, the boys have tried to bring an element of fun into the game to make every moment of the season memorable. For example, trying new tricks on their opponents. It is always important to make those moments count, especially with your teammates. 

“I think my favorite moment was when Charlie and I were messing around against DP’s number two team trying to hit tweeners,” said senior Joe Friedman. 

We kicked off the tennis season with the girls tennis team having an undefeated season and we are now witnessing the same for the boys tennis team. Overall, San Marcos has had a great season for the sport as they had in the past few years. We could not be more proud of these young players representing the school. Make sure to support the boys tennis team by catching some of their matches and check the boys tennis Instagram account (@smhsboystennis) for updates on their matches! Go Royals!