Image Courtesy of Jeff and Karen Atlas.
The 65th Emmy Awards, arranged by the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences, took place on September 22, at the Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles. The ceremony was hosted by previous host – Neil Patrick Harris. The night was filled with numerous surprises, and goofy, as well as touching moments. Here is a look at five of the most memorable highlights of the 2013 Emmy Awards:
1. The winner of the Best Supporting Actress in the Comedy Series, Merritt Wever, made possibly the shortest and funniest thank you speech. Wever was largely unknown until this incident in this year’s Emmys. Once on stage, the star of Nurse Jackie said,
“Thank you so much. I gotta go. Bye.”
2. Julia Louis-Dreyfus stayed in character from her show Veep even when she took the stage. Her co-star Tony Hale, a bag man on the show, also remained as his character by holding Louis-Dreyfus’ clutch and reminding her who to thank in her acceptance speech.
3. The night went on as Jane Lynch (Glee) gave an emotional tribute to her co-star Cory Monteith, who passed away a few months ago as a result of a drug overdose.
“From the first time you saw Cory he had a star quality and a genuine sweetness that made it impossible not to fall in love with him… Cory was no act. Cory was a beautiful soul,” recounted Lynch in her loving commemoration.
4. Breaking Bad, one of the most raved-about shows on television, won the Best Drama Series. Getting a lot of attention in the past two years, Breaking Bad tells a story about a terminally ill chemistry teacher and his student who produce meth to make a living. The fifth and final season ends on September 29 on AMC. Some of the other winners were Modern Family for Outstanding Comedy Series, and Behind The Candelabra for Outstanding Movie.
5. Although not in the Awards ceremony itself, Claire Danes’ commercial aired during one of the breaks. In the Audi ad, Danes was shown taking two different cars (one of them an Audi) as two opposite scenarios are shown. In one, Claire Danes takes the Audi, visits a grassy field with puppies, and arrives to the Emmy Awards in time. In the other, she takes a non-Audi car and ends up in jail.
All in all, you have to see it to believe it. Most of these scenes can be found on YouTube.