House Fire Takes Goleta Homes


Staff Writer

fire article featured

Late last month, on March 30th, a house fire took over four homes in Goleta and burned them enough that they are all now uninhabitable. Crews were dispatched at 4:49 pm to the 600 block of Dara Road, between Fairview and Patterson Avenues.  A female resident of a single story home had been sleeping and awoke to the blaring of her smoke detector.  

The working smoke detector saved her,” Mike Eliason, a Santa Barbara County spokesman told Noozhawk. “Having a working smoke detector is a very important thing.”

After further investigation, evidence revealed that the fire started in the laundry room of the home; a spark was created from the metal in the back of the dryer, where lint build-up fueled the blaze. After the resident tried to put out the fire by herself, she was forced to call 9-1-1 as the flames started catching onto the rest of her house. As more crews were called in, the second home caught fire while the blaze lept to two other homes, helped by the 30 mph winds. The fire was knocked out in about an hour and the crew had cleared the scene. One firefighter had to be transported to Goleta Valley Cottage Hospital with a leg and heat-related injury, however he made a full recovery.

Eliason stressed that this fire should be a reminder for people to make sure that they have working smoke detectors and to clean out their dryer lint traps. He also encouraged people to call 9-1-1 as soon they see a fire, as opposed to trying to put it out themselves, so authorities can arrive as soon as possible. 


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s