Winter Skincare

Winter Skincare

Skin Care is often dismissed as a hobby for girls and can be grouped together with makeup. In reality skincare is not for any specific gender. Skincare is actually just basic hygiene and should be done by everyone.

Since winter is coming up, people’s skin will get more dry, cracked, etc.. In lower temperatures, the moisture on our skin evaporates which dries it out quicker. So, your skin will need more hydration, gentle exfoliation and very gentle cleansers.

For the first step of your skincare routine, you need a cleanser. In winter especially you want to gently cleanse your skin avoiding any stripping cleansers since your skin will already be drier than usual. 

Cleansers:

A good affordable cleanser is the Aveeno calm and restore nourishing oat cleanser. Oat is a good ingredient that hydrates and nourishes dry skin. This is a perfect cleanser for severely dry winter skin.

Retail price:$9.79

Woman Skin Free Stock CC0 Photo - StockSnap.io
Image courtesy of Stock Snap

Another great cleanser for winter weather is the Selfless by Hyram Centella and green tea cleanser. This cleanser does an excellent job at deeply cleansing your skin while still being very gentle. It has ingredients such as green tea which reduces irritation, redness and swelling. Most importantly, this product is cruelty free.

Retail price: $20 

Sometimes just washing your face and using a moisturizer is not enough. Your pores may be clogged, or your skin may be too dry or oily. If you have any extra concerns about your skin, you should definitely incorporate a special treatment as the second step of your daily routine. Freshman Nyri Tahanian said, “The best thing I’ve done for my skin is using dermatologist recommended products.”

Special treatments:

A popular skincare trend has been having “glass skin” or very dewy/glowy skin. If this is the look you are going for, you should consider using a milky toner. An amazing option is the Laneige Cream Skin Toner & Moisturizer. This product is amazing for hydration and keeping the skin plump. 

Retail price:$33

If you are interested in a milky toner but want a more affordable product you should go with the Thayers Milky Toner. The formula is similar to the Laneige toner and it also has hyaluronic acid which helps the skin lock in moisture. This product is also cruelty free!

Retail price:$14.99

Exfoliants are also great for the skin, especially if you have clogged pores or if your skin just is not feeling great. Exfoliation is the removal of dead skin cells and built-up dirt from the skin’s surface. There are two types of exfoliation: physical exfoliation and chemical exfoliation. Physical exfoliation can be irritating for the skin, while chemical exfoliation does a good job of getting rid of dirt and dead skin cells.

Image courtesy of Pexel

A good exfoliant is the Paula’s Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant. It is a chemical exfoliant which has ingredients such as BHA which is primarily an exfoliant, but also helps with acne and sun damage. This product is cruelty free.

Retail price: $13.00

Moisturizers

The fourth or fifth step of your skincare routine should be a moisturizer. Moisturizing is arguably the most important part of a winter skincare. For winter, thick, rich creams after perfect. An amazing moisturizer is the Cera Ve moisturizing cream. The texture of the cream is very rich and almost a balm consistency. The ingredients are very simple and perfect for sensitive skin.

Another great moisturizer is the Aveeno Calm + Restore Oat Gel Moisturizer for Sensitive Skin. It is similar to the cleanser mentioned earlier and is great for soothing sensitive skin.

Retail price:$10.99

In cold weather people’s lips can get very chapped. The best lip balm on the market is Aquaphor Advanced Therapy Healing Ointment Skin Protectant. Its main active ingredient is petrolatum which is amazing for locking in moisture.

Sunscreen

The last but certainly not least important step of a skincare routine is sunscreen.  Just because it is winter does not mean that the sun is not prominent. especially in a sunny city such as Santa Barbara. Sunscreen is crucial in protecting our skin from a lot of damage. UVA and UVB rays damage our skin and can cause skin cancer. To completely protect your skin from any damage, it is important to apply sunscreen every two hours. 

One of the best mineral sunscreen products is Bare Republic Sunscreen Lotion Mineral, Spf 30. It blends in very easily and is coral reef safe. It does not leave a white cast and feels like there is nothing on your skin. This product is cruelty free.

If you do not like the feel of mineral sunscreen you should try the Trader Joe’s Daily Facial Sunscreen SPF 40. It is a clear formula so it definitely does not leave a white cast. It also leaves the skin feeling hydrated and plump.

For the cold months you should be prepared to hydrate your skin more than you normally would. This does not mean that you can not use any of the products you use for the rest of the year. Hopefully this article will help you figure out what your skin needs, and remember to apply sunscreen!