Boys Volleyball Coming Back Strong

Last Friday, the San Marcos Boys Volleyball team faced their crosstown rival, Santa Barbara High School, and suffered a tough loss in the fifth set of the match. The Royals faced a fired-up Dons team who pulled out a 23-25, 26-24, 23-25, 27-25, 15-11 victory to give San Marcos their first league loss. Despite this game, the Royals have had a great season thus far with a record of 16-3 overall, and 4-1 in Channel League. 

This past weekend, the Royals attended the Dos Pueblos Invitational Tournament, where they took first place and two of the Royal’s players were named to the All-Tournament team; junior libero Clifford Ficker, and junior outside hitter, Jack Wilson, who was named MVP.

Boys Volleyball Dominates Santa Barbara High School (Gary Kim/Noozhawk)

When Ficker was asked about what will be key in the continued success of their season, he responded with, “After our loss against Santa Barbara we were pretty bummed, but the day after the loss we played in the DP Invitational and won the tournament. We have a game against DP this week and plan on keeping the momentum going from the tournament win into the rest of the season.” 

San Marcos Boys Volleyball welcomed a transfer student onto their team this year, junior Mason Rice, who was previously a Don. When asked about how he felt about integrating  into the team, as well as what he is looking forward to with the rest of season he said, “The best part about the new team is feeling like part of a family. That is something you don’t get at Santa Barbara. I would say I am most looking forward to CIF playoffs and playing with my best friend Cliff.” 

The Royals are excited and ready to continue the second half of League play, and hopefully to take home the gold in CIF playoffs. The Royals had a big match this last Thursday at our home gym, the Thunder Hut, against Dos Pueblos.  The Royals took home a big win in four sets against the Chargers, which put them in the running with Santa Barbara High School for first place in Channel League. This is an exciting time for the San Marcos Boys Volleyball team, so make sure to go show your royal spirit, and support your Royal’s sports teams!