Student Athletes Competing at the Next Level

San Marcos Student Athletes Signing

As the school year comes to a close, seniors at San Marcos begin finalizing their decisions of where they will be next year. With schools ranging from local universities like Westmont to locations across the country, this year’s spring signing group is full of incredible athletes.

Alexi Staph with family on signing day

On Wednesday April 26 in the San Marcos Greek Theater, we were presented with this year’s spring signing group, composed of nine, hardworking, seniors who announced where they would be continuing both their academic and athletic careers. Three of which announced that they would be continuing their careers at the local college of Westmont. 

Trackstars Justin Hess and Mackenize Fauver will be competing in track & field whilst goal-scoring Leonel Olivo will be joining the men’s soccer team. San Marcos track & field coach Marilyn Hantgin who attended Wednesday’s signing ceremony said this in reference to Hess and Fauver, “I think they’ll both do really well there and I am so happy that they get to have that experience.”

Justin Hess and Mackenize Fauver committing to Westmont College for Track and Field

For the other six signees, destinations were widespread across the country. Jaran Depew signed with Bowdoin College in Brunswick, Maine for swimming; Kyle Foley will be headed to Hunter College in New York for volleyball; Caden Hodina signed with Lewis & Clark College in Portland Oregon for baseball; Jordan Lind signed with Claremont McKenna college for men’s water polo; Alexi Stapf will also be playing water polo at Caltech; and Zoey Ziskind will be at Harvard to compete in sailing. 

San Marcos is incredibly proud to be the home for such dedicated student athletes and we’re looking forward to seeing what their future holds as they take the next step!