San Marcos Fantasy Football

DP Nerd
San Marcos junior Gage Minne eating 24 pancakes in 24 hours after losing his fantasy last year.

The 2023-2024 football season is now upon us, as is the fantasy football season at San Marcos High School. This year there are a lot of interesting loser punishments that students at San Marcos are doing, and cool winner rewards. We are excited to take a look at it all.
First,how Fantasy football works is by joining/or creating a league. These tend to be between eight-14 players. You then draft (pick) your players. Every team gets one QB, two running backs, three wide receivers, one tight end, one flex, any of the three previous positions, a defense and kicker. You then are allowed seven bench players in any position of your choosing. This is how your team is built.
You then play 1v1 head-to-head matchups vs. other people in your league. This will determine your record and the standings at the end of the season. You then have your playoffs and crown your winner. This is where most leagues have a winning prize and a last-place punishment. So, we went around San Marcos and asked what students were planning for their fantasy leagues this year.
“I am in a 12 person league, and the reward for winning our league is $20 from every person.” said sophomore James Oats “The last place punishment for our league is having to dress up as a clown for a whole day everywhere you go.”
“My league is very competitive. We have 10 people,which makes it a little easier to draft better players.” said senior Ryan Mclain, “The winner in our league gets their meals paid for by everyone for a whole week when they go to a restaurant, and the last place punishment in our league is having to run 10 laps around the San Marcos track, and after every lap, you have to eat a waffle.”
There are going to be a lot of bad punishments throughout fantasy football this year and lots of amazing prizes for the winner as well. We wish everyone who is participating in fantasy football good luck this year, and don’t finish last!