Holiday Decor Ideas

Natalie Anderson
Miniature Christmas Tree

The halls are decked, the stockings are hung, and there are presents underneath the tree. The holiday season has begun, and for a lot of people that means decorating your house. For those who celebrate Christmas, here are a few ways you can spruce up your home! From lights to candles, anyone can find something to add to your space.

First, a miniature Christmas tree is great for either a bedroom or a living room with limited space. These trees are usually artificial, so you can use them year after year while taking up the fraction of the storage space as a full size one. A lot of people don’t buy full size trees for a variety of reasons, so a tinier tree solves this problem while still giving the opportunity to hang ornaments and put lights on. These are available at Target and Amazon or hardware stores like Home Depot and Ace. They usually range from 10 to 40 dollars, so you can pick one to suit your price range. 

Adding Christmas lights to any room makes it feel cozier. Whether you go for warm white lights, or classic colored ones, they’ll be sure to give your room a festive glow. Lights are great because of how versatile they are. They can be strung across curtain rods, across mantles, or used outside! There are also so many options. If you don’t want the hassle of a cord, you can easily find battery powered lights so you don’t have to worry about having an outlet nearby. Thrift stores are a great place to look for lights and any other decor, especially if you want to stay within a budget. Lights can be found at most stores or online for as little as less than 10 dollars. 

“We have light up garlands on our stairs, icicles, and rainbow lights on our palm trees,” said sophomore Ethan Klawuhn. “It makes me happy every night to see all my Christmas lights go on.”

There are also smaller ways to get in the holiday spirit. Again, a lot of these items can be thrifted or found for lower prices. First, candles are a great way to make your house feel cozier. Besides adding light and warmth to your room, most candles are scented. Most people only think about the way things look when choosing decor, but you have to consider all 5 senses. Smells can trigger memories and so getting a candle that’s scent you associate with the holidays will make you happy every time you walk into the room. You can also switch out your bedding during this season. Some people like to get heavier blankets or covers during the colder months, so why not get a fun pattern? Prints can be anywhere from a classic plaid to fun characters, and will keep you warm this holiday season! Again, these are easy to find at most stores including Target and Amazon and can be found at very low prices. Most candles can be found for less than $15 and blankets or sheets can be around $30. 

There are so many simple ways to decorate for the holidays! Most of these options can be found for $30 or less, and you can cut down the price even more by thrifting or shopping sale items. These items are easy to use and fairly small, but even a little holiday cheer goes a long way!