Fall Sports Wrap-up

San Marcos High School seized the fall sports season with an unwavering spirit of dominance that echoed across every athletic endeavor. Navigating the challenges of a second year in a new league, the Royals showcased a level of athleticism that not only met but exceeded expectations. The playing fields became a canvas for triumph as San Marcos athletes left an indelible mark, conquering obstacles with unparalleled skill and determination. This season was not merely good; it was an extraordinary chapter in the school’s sports legacy, marked by resilience, prowess, and a relentless pursuit of excellence.

Football:

The season got off to a scorching start against Knight High School and kept up the winning momentum against Santa Maria. But after losing four straight games, the club went through a difficult spell. The tide shifted on senior night when Dos Pueblos lost to the Royals’ tenacity amongst the ups and downs. Despite losing on the road against Santa Barbara, the club bounced back to win a vital game against Channel Islands and finish the season with a 4-6 record. During the team’s home game versus Dos Pueblos, a crucial moment occurred that highlighted their unwavering spirit and added even more significance to their victory.

“Our expectations were high coming into the season and came up short but we worked really hard this year. The juniors learned a lot from this season.” said junior wide receiver and running back Nate Jones. “We have higher expectations for our senior season next year and we will work harder to achieve it. We will be back to compete for a ring next year.” 

Flag Football:

A historic milestone unfolded at San Marcos High School as the inaugural flag football team took center stage, marking a groundbreaking chapter in the school’s athletic history. The season commenced with an electrifying victory against Channel Islands, setting the tone for what would become a remarkable journey. Under the guidance of the experienced former boys’ football coach, Jason Fowle, the formidable 35-member squad exhibited strength, skill, and a shared commitment to redefine the school’s sporting legacy.

“I feel very proud and accomplished to be a part of the first ever San Marcos Girls Flag Football team,” said senior linebacker Trinity Le. “We all worked really hard during each game and to bring this all together.” 

Boy’s Water Polo:

San Marcos Boys Water Polo defeated our cross-town rivals Dos Pueblos in a dramatic championship game and secured the title as Division CIF-Southern Section Champions. This is the first time they have won CIF since 1994. The team had a dominating season, and out of 36 matches they had 25 wins. They boys this season each got buzz cuts before the championship, senior utility attacker Nic Prentice said that shaving their heads showed, “how much we cared for each other and our commitment to the program.”

Girls Volleyball:

Girls Volleyball started off the season strong having an overall 20-13 game wins to loses, crushing teams with scores of 0-3 against Buena, Oxnard, Pacifica and Santa Barbara High School. They made it to CIF but sadly lost the first round to Campbell Hall. 

“Our season was a lot of fun and we grew a lot as a team, and I am super excited for next season.” said middle blocker Samantha Fallon.

Girls Tennis:

Undefeated in League and winning Channel League the girls tennis team had a stellar season. Overall out of 19 games this season, they won 17 of them as they moved onto Division 1 of CIF. The team beat both of our cross-town rivals, 12-6 win against DP and a 13-5 win against SB. The team made it past the first round of CIF’s, but sadly didn’t make it all the way. 

“Our season was really good,” said junior double’s player Ava Vasquez. “Everyone had a lot of fun but we also worked hard, and felt that hard work paid off.”

Girls Golf:

Girls golf had an exciting season that kickstarted strong. Defeating Dos Pueblos for the third time in school history and by the largest margin (SM 228 – DP 259). Their last league match was on their home turf, Sandpiper, against Buena High School on October 10, which the Royals won 245-260. The team had alot of fun bonding experiences together this season as well such as cooking nights and team pilates. Giving them a strong bond on and off the course.

“We went pretty good overall, we won the league and went undefeated. we had pretty hard teams to play but we persevered through and succeeded.” said junior Talia Cumming 

Cross Country:

For  another year Cross Country made it to CIFs, winning league yet again. They had a season full of record breaking runs, group activites and many team dinners. Girls Varsity made it all the way to CIF Finals where senior Kiala Haas ran 17:49 at Mount Sac beating records. 

“Boys and girls both had awesome seasons, we had fun and put in the work,” said Levi Reece. “It was fun competing and being with the team overall.” 

Cheer:

This past season gave San Marcos Cheer squad lots to cheer for! The Varsity cheer team has been able to perform at the rallies on Friday’s, prepare halftimes for the football games, and begin attending the girls’ Varsity Flag Football games thanks to head cheer coach Adaline Macgregor who brought on new staff members for both Junior Varsity and Frosh. With the addition of three new coaches, and being led by four senior captains. 

“The season went well. We danced a lot compared to past years and I’m proud we did really good. It was fun and I’m excited for basketball season coming up.” said Varsity Cheer Captain Bryanna Alvarado Rivera.

San Marcos has had an amazing fall season and we are super excited to see more Royals shine this winter season! Congratulations to all fall athletes!