Super Bowl Preview

SM King’s Page

Las Vegas will host Super Bowl LVlll in the Raiders “Death Star” stadium this year and although fans across the NFL hoped for a different Super Bowl matchup, the San Francisco 49ers and the Kansas City Chiefs will battle each other in a 2020 Super Bowl rematch where the Chiefs came out victorious last time the two teams faced off. In this year’s AFC championship game the Kansas City Chiefs led by already 2x Super Bowl champ Patrick Mahomes went on the road to play the number one seeded Baltimore Ravens who was led by MVP candidate Lamar Jackson. The game was a battle within the four quarters while the chiefs held their ground in Baltimore territory closing in on their 4th AFC championship in five years.

“The Chiefs are going to win it all for sure. Brock Purdy is a system Quarterback  while Mahomes and Kelce are the best postseason duo in the history of the game.” said junior Chiefs fan, Brett hollowell.

On the other side of the bracket, the Detroit lions made a shocking playoff push to face the #1 seeded San Francisco 49ers in the NFC championship game. The Lions came out hot In the first half, putting up 24 points on the NFLs top defense and held the 49ers offense to just seven points. The Lions looked like they were going to dominate in the 2nd half  and escape Levi’s stadium with a huge upset win to advance to the Super Bowl. but that wasn’t the case. 

The 49ers offense led by seventh-round draft pick Brock Purdy looked unstoppable. They went on to score 27 unanswered points on Detroit  in the 2nd half. The Lions finally responded with a late touchdown with just under a minute left in the game , but that was too late as the 49ers put the game to rest. Kneeling the ball and running out the clock to advance to their 8th super bowl appearance.

“The 49ers are getting their revenge and are going to win the Super Bowl,” said junior Anthony Obispo. “They took three losses in the beginning of the season but that only made them hungry for a Super Bowl ring, big time players make big time plays.”

This upcoming weekend will mark the 49ers eighth Super Bowl appearance and possibly sixth Super Bowl ring while the Chiefs have made it to the Super Bowl six times and are competing for their fourth ring. Making it two wins in the last four seasons for Kansas City. The Super Bowl will be played this Sunday, February 11, 2024 in what seems to be a thrilling rematch between the two best teams in the league.