Voting Registration Made Easy

Flickr
People getting registered to vote for the election in November. As soon as people turn 18, they can register to vote, in order to be ready for elections.

2024: Election year. With many seniors turning 18 this year, this is especially exciting as this is the first time they will be voting. Already on campus AP American Government teacher Charles Clow helps his students pre-register to vote, and when students go to the DMV you can pre-register as well. This is highly recommended for people because as soon as you turn 18, you are eligible to vote for primary elections, allowing you to select the candidate for your party, and even later, your president. According to the Center for Information and Research on Civic Learning and Engagement, from the 2016 to the 2020 election, youth voting increased by 11%. As the 18-29-year-old voters range has been historically the lowest, the increase of young voters allows for a more comprehensive election. 

The easiest way to pre-register or register to vote, if you’re 18, is through the website registertovote.ca.gov where there is an easy option to get prepared for the elections. The process itself is a simple five steps with a few personal questions. There are questions about your personal information so be sure to have the correct website and don’t leave your information with untrustworthy sources.  

When voting, the most common way to do so is through polls. The Santa Barbara County website allows you to look up polls by zip code for easier access. Another method of voting is by mail through a ballot that will be sent to you prior to voting day which is sent to you after registering to vote. After filling out the ballot you can mail it back to your county elections official or drop it off at a polling station. Unfortunately, no online voting is available for federal elections. 

“It’s everyone’s civic duty and right, to express their opinions on how our country should be run. Many people in other countries don’t have the right to that freedom” says AP Government teacher, Mr. Ricci. 

With this upcoming election, this is an exciting opportunity for older members of the San Marcos community to express their rights. The current candidates are still not yet finalized for the Democratic and Republican parties which is why making sure that your opinion is expressed in the election of the future president is so important. For those who are already 18, register to vote for primary elections and for those who will turn 18 prior to this fall can preregister and have a say in the future of our government.