Galentine’s Day

Candice Cugnier
Colorful flower bouquets can be found at any local grocery store. Use these to make some fun flower arrangements with friends this Valentine’s Day!

Are you lonely on Valentine’s Day? Instead of watching others enjoy the day, grab your friends and plan some fun activities for the day! Every year when Valentine’s Day rolls around, many think that it is dedicated to couples, however it does not have to be. Here are some ways to celebrate with these quick ideas.  

Arts and crafts are a way to do something fun with your friends. An idea for this could be painting candles or drinking glasses. 

To paint candles, buy some candlesticks of your choice, along with some colorful wax. Melt the wax and use a paintbrush to paint on your candle with little designs such as hearts, flowers, or anything else. With drinking glasses, simply acquire some permanent paint and paint your designs on the outside of your glass. Finish your project up with a coat of Modge Podge to make sure it does not rub off.

If neither of these crafts are appealing, organizing flower arrangements is also a fun and easy activity. For this idea, everyone in the group brings different bouquets of flowers, some twine to wrap around the flower stems or a cute vase to hold the flowers, and a pair of scissors to cut the ends of the flowers off. Then you and your friends can create arrangements with all of the flowers. You could spice it up by adding some chocolate roses or anything else. Either gift the final product to yourself, a family member, or to a friend of your choice!

“I think that it’s a really fun way to spend time with friends and just really appreciate each other. It can be very cute with the decorations and colors in a Valentine’s theme,” said San Marcos senior, Avital Abramov.

Another fun idea, which would take a little more effort, would be to throw a tea party! Dress up with all of your friends and prepare food, along with tea to celebrate the day. One way of doing this could be to have everyone bring foods such as cheese boards, pastries, and anything else your friend group enjoys. 

During this Valentine’s season, hearts can be included into anything, even heart-shaped food. (You could even bring these to your tea party!) First, a pizza is a classic way to go about doing this as everyone can roll out their dough into the shape and then decorate it with the toppings of your choice. You could make some flowers using tomatoes cut in half and some basil, while also creating your own designs. Having a heart-shaped cake and cupcakes is also a way to do this as they can be fun to decorate and are a sweet way to celebrate these times! A trick for heart-shaped cupcakes is to roll a bit of tinfoil into a small ball and place it between the cupcake pan and the cupcake wrapper. 

A final and more relaxing way to spend your Galentine’s day, by yourself or with some friends, curled up under a blanket. This holiday could be celebrated by simply watching some fun romcoms or movies such as 10 Things I Hate About You, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, Just Like Heaven, or even The Notebook.

There are many ways to make Valentine’s Day fun, without it having to be for couples. Simply grab a couple friends and celebrate some ways to make the day special.