Keeping up with the Cadence

Feel the rhythm as the Jazz Band is having their first performance of the year this Saturday, March 2, at the Dos Pueblos Jazz Fest.

Hosted inside Dos Pueblos High School’s auditorium, jazz bands from across California will soon gather. All the Santa Barbara junior high and high school bands will be present as well as the Santa Barbara City College band. San Marcos Jazz Band’s rival, LA Radando, will be performing there. This is the first time these teams have competed against each other this season. 

The band will be performing four songs: Moten Swing, Soupbone, My Foolish Heart, and will end the concert with a Latin chart called Madrid. 

Bassist Russell Manning-Huff and drummer Hunter Johnston practice for the Dos Pueblos Jazz Festival
(Roman Trovato)

The event will begin at 3:15 pm and the San Marcos Jazz Band will be on stage at 4:00. Make sure to stick around for the awards ceremony by 6:15 pm. Afterwards, at 7:00 pm, there will be a special performance from Karl Hunter, the featured saxophone soloist from the multi-Platinum selling, grammy nominated, contemporary swing band Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, of which he has been a member for 27 years.

“If there is any good reason to come this year, we have the largest jazz band we ever had in San Marcos history this year, 25 students,” said senior trombone player Jack Hons. “We are going to be loud and we are going to sound really good.”

You can also show your support on March 9 at the band’s fundraiser downtown! The San Marcos Jazz Band will be playing music for about an hour and a half at The Draftsman Hotel next to Core Power Yoga on State Street.