Fire on the Field: San Marcos vs. Dos Pueblos Baseball

Jill Crang
Freshman Mason Crang on the mound.

San Marcos baseball dominated the field in all aspects during their crosstown rivalry game against Dos Pueblos yesterday on March 5. Bouncing back from their two losses last week, the Royals earned themselves a strong 7-0 win over the Chargers at the Scott O’Leary Field.

The Royal’s hard work and dedication was evident all throughout this game as their teamwork shone through. This impressive win took the Royals to a 2-6 overall record, tying themselves 1-2 with the Chargers in Channel League. All game, San Marcos’s junior pitching duo, Ethan Stokaug and Alexi Stegner, pitched a combined one-hitter, striking out ten DP batters and sanctioning four of their baserunners. 

Pitching however, was far from the only impressive aspect of this game. Junior Kieran Babai and freshman Patrick Foster singled and executed a double steal, marking the start of the Royal’s offensive explosion. This fiery offensive period was highlighted by junior Nate Jones roping a single run batted in, senior Steven Bradley with a run-scoring double, and freshman Mason Crang tying it off with a two-run double to right center field securing the Royals a firm lead. 

Stegner was one to call attention to all during the second half, as he pitched five scoreless innings, allowing only one hit to slip through the cracks. 

When prompted about how he felt about this rivalry matchup game, Stegner said, “I think we did a great job starting with offense first which is the most important part and though they had a pretty good pitcher, we knew what to do and got down to business. Though we had a rocky start to the season, I think we have a lot of momentum from this game and we should take the dub again later this week.” 

From here, the Royals and Chargers will face off again on Friday, March 8, in their final matchup of the season. We wish the Royal batters the best of luck!