Book Club

Members of the SMHS Book Club poses for their yearbook photo (SMHS Yearbook)

Our school’s Book Club meets the first Thursday of every month, in room I-7. During these meetings, the members will discuss the past book that they read, debating their favorite parts and others that they may not have liked as much. One of the club’s co-presidents, senior Jaden Elliston, even brings snacks for everyone to enjoy while they converse. 

Senior and member of Book Club, Sofia Prober, said, “Everyone’s very positive and loves reading. It’s a good environment to come and talk about books that we all like, and even if you don’t read the books you can still show up and talk about books that you have read in the past.”

To end off the monthly meeting, a unanimous vote is taken to select next month’s book, which everyone will read over the following weeks. Over Winter Break, the chosen book was Little Women by Louisa May Alcott, and to celebrate finishing the book, the group got together to watch the movie. 

Jaden Elliston said, “What I like most about Book Club is the people. It’s always a really fun and engaging atmosphere, and we get to read books together.”

The book for this last month was The Shining by Stephen King, and during the club meeting on Thursday, March 7, club members gathered around and discussed it. Recently, the Book Club has been reading books with movies in order to be able to meet twice in the month to watch movies once they are done.