San Marcos Dominates on the Track

SM Track and Field

The Royals left the track on Wednesday with a sweep on both sides. The girls defeated Dos Pueblos 89-38, while the Dons put up slightly more competition with a score of 81-46. The boys beat Santa Barbara 77-50, while taking the cake against Dos Pueblos 70-57. The quadruple win made San Marcos the City Champions in Track and Field.

“I should have ran over the break, my legs were weak. Glad I got long legs to help my strides though,” said junior Cole Heckman, who ran the varsity 1600 meter, 800 meter, and 4×4.

Sophomore Avery Leck won four events, including high jump (5-0), long jump (17-6.5), 100 meters (12.60), and 100 meter hurdles (15.76). She was the only person to win four events at the meet.

Junior Joshua Duncan enjoyed his 17th birthday at the meet, having an excellent race in the two mile. He ran extra fast with his birthday powers.

“I can’t wait to run at nationals in Ohio over the summer,” said junior Joshua Duncan.

Junior Ben Callanan placed second in the two mile, running 10:04. Junior Eamon Gordon from Dos Pueblos placed first with a time of 9:40. 

Senior Kiala Haas placed first in both the 1600 meter (5:28.47) and the 800 meter (2:23.74). Both were season bests for her.

Looking into the future, San Marcos will head to Ventura next Wednesday, April 10 for the last meet of the year for some.