Taking Home Channel League Yet Again, Will They Ever Lose?

The grass is always greener on the other side, but not for this season of the San Marcos Boys Golf team. 

After an undefeated season last year, the boys golf team is back and better than ever. This year they gained new teammates including freshmen Austin Downing and Andy Keenan.

Boys Golf Captain Shams Jahangir-Arshad tees off. (Aaron White)

“It has been so great getting these two new freshmen who have really contributed a lot to our team,” said senior Boys Golf Captain Shams Jahangir-Arshad.

Earlier this month, on April 3, the team played Dos Pueblos, where the Royals shot 364 as a squad at Glen Annie Golf Club, while the Chargers finished at 380, leading the Royals to a big win. In this match the Royals were led by Jahangir-Arshad who shot a bogey free round of six-under par, a 65, and Downing who shot a 68, a three-under par.

The Royals beat our cross-town rivals this Thursday, April 11, and remained undefeated with a score of 374, while the Dons shot 412 as a squad. Downing led all golfers on his way to the medalist honors, shooting 70

Senior Jeffrey Forster mid-down swing. (Aaron White)

(one-under-par). 

Last night, April 17, Boys Golf also defeated Pacifica, 173 to 265. Jahangir-Arshad was the medalist with a 30 (six-under par) at the Santa Barbara Golf Club. Senior Jeffrey Forster and Downing also shot 35 (one-under par) to help lead the Royals to an easy win.

“This season has been going really well so far. We are hoping to keep up the good play heading into the play-off season,” said Jahangir-Arshad. “We hope to bring a State Title home this year.” 

The Royals stand 13-0 overall and 5-0 in Channel League. They have two more matches in the regular season left against Buena and Oxnard. If the Royals can win these matches they will have an undefeated season and win the Channel League Championship.

Follow the boys golf teams instagram @smroyalsgolf to keep up to date on their season.