Breaking Free: College and Career Center Hosts Shred Day Party for Rejection Letters

A+San+Marcos+senior+shreds+her+rejection+letter%2C+letting+go+of+any+disappointment+or+other+bad+feelings.+
Viviana Galindo
A San Marcos senior shreds her rejection letter, letting go of any disappointment or other bad feelings.

Among the cheers of joy and celebration is the sound of a shredder symbolizing the resilience within high school seniors shredding their college rejection letters. Rejection can make high school students feel many emotions relating to their worth and expectations, but the College and Career Center at San Marcos took a different approach for students and their rejections. Students celebrated their successes and failures through the shredding of their college rejection letters illustrating that students are not defined by their rejection letters.

Seniors Geovanni Gaspar Sotero and Adrian Gonzalez celebrate with pizza after shredding their rejection letters. (Viviana Galindo)

San Marcos senior Adrian Gonzalez said, “I got rejected from UCLA, but I’m going to the number one university, Berkeley and not UCLA.”

The College and Career Center counselor, Ms. Woodard hosted a rejection party at school on April 18. For many students, college rejection letters represent their first time ever being told no, but in reality rejection is a natural part of life. At this event, students were able to connect with other high achieving students who also got denied from colleges. At the party, students learned that universities have institutional priorities that not all students fall under. Students embraced their successes and accepted that they did not have a niche trait that the colleges were looking for. 

Nonetheless, students who planned their college list with likely, target, and reach schools set themselves up for an even balance of schools. Whether or not students got accepted or rejected, the party celebrated the students’ bravery for putting themselves out there. 

“It’s easy to think you’re the only one going through this, but it’s absolutely not true. Next year I hope to see many more students here,” said Ms. Woodard.

The College and Career Center was decorated in Royal colors for the special occasion. If you are a rising senior at San Marcos, be sure to make next year’s party! (Viviana Galindo)

Some colleges are continuously taking applications and students are encouraged to apply to them to receive a well rounded education. All students are encouraged to reach out to Ms. Woodard through an appointment with her to discuss further options including applying to colleges with open applications.

“UC Irvine does not deserve me. This event is my coping mechanism and to connect with other people who are also coping,” said senior Geovanni Gaspar Sotero. “I plan on attending Santa Barbara City College and then transferring to a UC.”

Through the shredding of college rejections, students not only discarded their letters, but also their self doubt and shame. Students who attended the party now are able to move on with their lives knowing that the path they will embark on in the future will lead to success regardless of the setbacks they have encountered.