SMEA Business Plan Showcase

The SMEA Business Plan Showcase featured 12 teams from the San Marcos Entrepreneurship Academy (SMEA) presenting their business ideas in a dynamic trade show format. Held in downtown Santa Barbara, students were able to demonstrate their companies, and had the opportunity to network and gain valuable experience.

SMEA students from both marketing and finance classes played pivotal roles in the seamless execution of the showcase event. They facilitated smooth check-ins, manned microphones for Q&A sessions, and tackled any unforeseen challenges. Together, their diverse skill sets and dedication were instrumental in the event’s success, leaving a lasting impression on guests.

The San Marcos Culinary Pathway students were also working the event as they catered the event with light food, deserts, and drinks. They had a variety of dishes and SMEA students circled the event with trays of food showcasing there dishes.

At the event there were many judges who gave feedback and ultimately chose winners for Start-Up Excellence and Best Marketing Materials. These judges were:

Mike Chou, Regional Vice President at Jackson, Luis Villegas,Vice President, Branch Manager at Mechanics Bank, Ryan Judy, CEO MOS Equipment, Amanda Benenati , VP of Marketing MOS Equipment, Nick Bolton, Senior Vice President, Revenue And Customer Operations at ProducePay, and Emma Nazim, Co-Founder of Constructable.

The event concluded with an awards ceremony recognizing the top business ideas in three categories:

Start-Up Excellence: Awarded to CoachLink SB, an innovative app that connects students with opportunities to coach young athletes in their specific sports. The app features parent feedback and a user-friendly booking system. This business idea was presented and developed by Ethan Ball and Gage Minnie.

Best Marketing Materials: Awarded to Ready, Set, Bake!, a gluten- and allergen-free baking kit that provides precisely measured ingredients for each recipe. This business idea was presented by Shea Cogswell, Ilan Abramov, and Sofia Llewellyn.

People’s Choice Award: Awarded to Zen Cycle, a monthly subscription box delivering period products tailored to women’s needs, ensuring they have exactly what they need when they need it. This business was presented by Viviana Galindo, Gracie Fedor, Sofia Orwig, and Vanessa Ramierz. 

After the awards ceremony a beloved tribute was made to Mrs. Karst and she will be leaving San Marcos next year. 

“We were disappointed because we know the impact she has made on everyone.” said Mr. Villa. “Just with the love and passion she has spread through teaching you all through the years.” 

The academy will miss her and award her with flowers.

“This event is especially fun since I’ve gotten to teach lots of people in marketing. It’s so nice seeing how far they have grown.” said Mrs. Karst after her tribute.

Overall, the SMEA Business Showcase was a night of innovation, networking, and recognition for the talented young entrepreneurs of the San Marcos Entrepreneurship Academy.