Presidential Perspective: An Optimistic October

Prestige Photography
ASB President Kavya Suresh

Dear Royals,

My name is Kavya Suresh and, if you don’t know me already,  I am your 2023-2024 ASB President. I’ve been involved in ASB at San Marcos for my entire high school career, serving as Freshman and Sophomore Class President and as Student Board Representative. Each year, I’ve learned invaluable lessons and gained critical leadership skills that have supported me in all areas of my life, and I’m certain that this year will be no different. We are actively attempting to shift the school culture and make San Marcos a memorable place that excites you. Our three central foci as ASB and leadership this year are inclusion, communication, and fun; when brainstorming ways to improve the climate of SM, we aim to create inclusive, well-communicated events that are fun for everyone. We need your support and participation in order to realize that vision.

However, I wish to take this opportunity to speak to you all about who I am as a person, as a 17 year-old girl attempting to navigate education, relationships, social expectations, shifting identities, and growth. As I share my piece, I hope to leave you all with one main idea: optimism. 

We are days away from being a quarter finished with the entire school year. Firstly, congratulations! I am so proud and appreciative of the dedication, effort, and enthusiasm y’all have shown in so many different fields: academics, athletics, performing arts, extracurriculars, and more. Secondly, I wish to acknowledge that this means different things to all of us. Seniors: we have 3 terms left as high school students, before we go on to achieve big and beautiful futures. Juniors: y’all are pushing through one of the most taxing and demanding years of high school, possibly battling symptoms of burnout and exhaustion. Sophomores (the most spirited class): you are well on your way to becoming an upperclassmen and are starting to recognize your purpose at San Marcos. Freshmen: you have officially commenced your high school journey! Despite all of the different sentiments and attitudes we may have about the conclusion of the term, I think there’s one universal truth we all share: something is coming to an end, and something new will begin. To some, that’s frightening. To others, that may feel exhilarating. Regardless, I encourage you all to sit with that idea: endings bring beginnings. I don’t view optimism as the absence of skepticism or frustration in enduring moments, rather I believe it to be the existence of resilience and joy in the face of hardship. And, those things are not mutually exclusive. We are all such unique individuals, and I hope you all will join me this year in exploring your complexity and permitting yourselves to feel, live, and express to your fullest. Keep searching for that new beginning. See you next month!