Give Back This Holiday Season

As the temperature drops and colorful lights brighten up your neighborhood, the season of giving initiates its entrance into the holidays. These final weeks of the year tend to be the season where communities take part in giving back to others. Participating in at least one good deed can contribute a huge impact on those in need. According to data in 2022 from the United States Census, 12.4% of Americans live in poverty which is also a 7.4% increase from the previous year. You can make a difference in many different ways. You can do so by donating to charities, local drives, and other random acts of kindness. 

One example is a local fundraiser found here in Santa Barbara, for example, Toys for Tots. Research from Time Magazine states that child poverty has doubled in rates from 5.2% to 12.4%. Toys for Tots is a donation program that helps provide unopened toys for low-income children. You can drop off your donations at classroom I-9 before December 14. 

Another local charity you can contribute to is the Santa Barbara Foodbank! You can get involved by donating non-perishable food, hosting a drive, and volunteering at events they host.

Outside of local ideas, you can also find opportunities to make a difference here at your own high school. San Marcos High School provides campaigns of all sorts. A recent and majorly influential drive is the Vitalant blood drive. On December 5th, students over the age of 16 could participate in donating blood to help patients of all ages. Giving blood serves as a great way to give back. San Marcos Senior, Cristina Wickline who gave blood says, “It feels great to make a difference in someone’s life even if I don’t know them!”

Seniors Cristina Wickline, Helena Manar, and Kennedy Funk at the blood drive (Victoria Fernandez)

Another fundraiser still ongoing with the body of San Marcos is the Dress & Dress Shirt Donation. Students can donate their unused formal attire which benefits other students who are looking to cut down the expenses of the upcoming school dance. By doing this, you are helping give your classmates access to experience an event they’ll never forget. 

Finally, any acts of kindness which can be simply done by making small gifts, baking holiday treats, or spending time with someone who might need a little extra support. San Marcos staff member, Mrs. Willbanks says, “I give back by keeping gift cards in my car to give to the homeless in Santa Barbara and donate monthly to Santa Barbara Rescue Mission.”

It’s incredibly important to take time and lend a hand to others who need it. Your impact of gestures and spreading awareness can make someone’s holiday special and full of cheerful spirit too!