New York Fashion Week Spring/Summer 2024

Candice Cugnier
New York Fashion Week runway show

Over the past week, September 7-13, brands and designers rushed to this year’s New York Fashion Week in order to show off their stunning new designs for the upcoming spring and summer season.

Starting off, Ralph Lauren made its return for its very first NYFW runway since 2019, starring noteworthy designs. Originating from New York himself, Lauren’s return to the city’s runway seemed to complete this whole fashion week. The collection’s color palette seemed to center around blues and gold, with a high presence of denim-on-denim looks. One of the stars of the show was the full denim maxi skirt, which was paired with a matching denim corset. Both pieces feature intricate details, including some florals. Another theme of the collection was set through the large, eye-catching gold jewelry worn by every model. From snake-like necklaces and lustrous earrings to detailed tops, these golden pieces made a statement throughout the looks. 

“New York Fashion Week is still going on until September 25th,” said San Marcos senior Estela Wilson. “The shows have been so fun to watch this year!”

One of the most talked-about and defining features of this fashion week is the return of Victoria’s Secret. After dealing with controversy about their lack of diversity and the impact that it had on women, Victoria’s Secret decided to shut down their annual runways and the “Angels” who walked them in 2018. Almost five years later, after having made an attempt to rebrand, they made their comeback through, “The Tour,” a fashion show in the format of a video. In celebration of this, Victoria’s Secret held a party at the Manhattan Center, where many past Victoria’s Secret Angels, such as Adriana Lima, Gigi Hadid, and Naomi Campbell, were present. In order to announce their rebrand to the public, “The Victoria’s Secret World Tour,” will be released on Prime Video on September 26, 2023.

Another striking runway took place during designer Kim Shui’s SS24 collection at Barbetta, a long-established Italian restaurant in Manhattan. The pieces from her collection were inspired by her Italian-Chinese heritage, as integrated traditional Chinese fabrics such as mud silks into her designs. In general, her collection contained lots of different bold and whimsical colors, with the majority of the designs being made of satin, with touches of lace, and sparkles. Style-wise, many looks incorporated bralettes, varied hem lengths, as well as off-the-shoulder looks, many of them containing a floral pattern. 

Overall, this season’s New York Fashion Week looks have been bold and glamorous, with a touch of drama. From celebrities to the general public, these shows have piqued many people’s interests, and many of these trends may show up in the following months.