A Look at SM Teachers’ Second Jobs

The Santa Barbara community has been facing a controversial issue concerning staff members’ salary and their benefits in the Santa Barbara School District. Currently, staff members are on a three year contract from 2021-2024. The school board and Santa Barbara Teachers Association have not agreed on the next contract for the upcoming years. Many of our beloved San Marcos staff members have second, third, and even fourth jobs to be able to afford living in Santa Barbara, whether it be because they want to or need to.

Lindsay Woodard- Academic Coach and Certified Equine Sports Massage Therapist

San Marcos College and Career Center Counselor Lindsay Woodard has two jobs outside of her occupation at San Marcos. As an academic coach, Ms. Woodard tutors, consults, and helps students apply for college privately. Her clients consist of middle, high school, and college students. Ms. Woodard is also a certified equine sports massage therapist, where she does massage therapy on horses in barns all over Santa Barbara and San Luis Obsipo.

Lindsay Woodard (Viviana Galindo)

“The income from my businesses is wonderful because it makes living in this area manageable and it allows me to pay for my daughters college tuition without having to take out loans,” said Ms. Woodard.

As a graduate school student, Ms. Woodard’s daily routine consists of waking up early to complete her homework, working at San Marcos, going home to clients whom she coaches academically, and then on weekends she massages horses. After providing therapy to the horses, she writes up therapy reports to send to her clients. She works ten hours a week for her two businesses.

Catherine Vallance- Ceramics Instructor, Airbnb Host, Landlord, Artist

Catherine Vallance (Viviana Galindo)

Catherine Vallance is a paraeducator for the Intensive Behavioral Interventionist therapeutic learning program at San Marcos. She has also been a ceramics teacher for the City of Santa Barbara for 23 years. Ms. Vallance runs her own summer program, teaching ceramics to kids in the Santa Barbara community. 

“I’m really glad to have ceramics be apart of my second job, it’s what I love, even through the hustle,” said Catherine Vallance

She is an active landlord and an Airbnb host. When Ms. Vallance has extra time, she also paints murals for elementary schools and even sells her own artwork. The union that she is in is not currently in the negotiation process. 

Shawn Ricci- Bartender 

Shawn Ricci (Viviana Galindo)

As a bartender at the Boathouse in Santa Barbara, Shawn Ricci makes drinks and takes care of customers at the bar in responsible ways. His primary job at San Marcos is an English, AVID, and EML teacher, on top of coaching sports at San Marcos. Mr. Ricci has been partaking in this second job of his for the same amount of time that he has been teaching. Bartending takes up 16-20 hours during his weekend, but it keeps Mr. Ricci busy. 

“The pay negotiation hasn’t impacted me too much yet, but I am in favor of the teachers association,” said Mr. Ricci. “Come down to the Boathouse and enjoy!”

Mr. Ricci also states that as a single parent raising his children by himself, an increase in teachers’ pay could potentially make him rethink continuing his job as a bartender. 

Steven Tragarz- Carpenter 

Steven Tragarz (Viviana Galindo)

World History and AP Economics teacher Steven Tragarz has his own local business as a carpenter. As his only employee is himself, he spends his days after school and on weekends building decks, stages, door jams, tables, bunk beds, and various other projects. After finishing his carpentry jobs at his job sites, he goes home to finish his first job, grading and writing lessons. During the school year, he spends 5-15 hours a week and 50 hours in the summer, bleeding into September being a carpenter. 

“If pay goes up, I can cut back on the number of hours I spend on carpentry during the school year, which allows me to spend more time with students, answer emails in a timely manner, and make my life easier,” said Mr. Tragarz. 

Mr. Tragarz’s dream is to be able to focus more on school, but because of his second job, he is unable to. His second job plays a factor into being able to live in Santa Barbara. Nonetheless, he still values his time as a teacher, since it is his passion. 

Regardless of the opinions the Santa Barbara community has regarding the pay negotiation with staff members, it is important to recognize staff members for their hard work and sacrifices that they make to continue to be a staff member in Santa Barbara. Now is the time to thank all staff members for their hard work and dedication for the San Marcos community.