Spring Sports Wrap-Up

Baseball+celebrating
Gary Kim/Noozhawk
Baseball celebrating

The San Marcos Athletics Department has had an overall incredible year. With every athlete, team, and sport who gave it their all to champion Channel League or even advanced onwards to CIF, the year was certainly one to remember. As the spring season comes to a close, the King’s Page wants to acknowledge all of the hardworking teams that make up this time of year and their vast, incredible accomplishments. 

Track & Field: 

Excelling in a variety of events, Track & Field has had a successful season as the team overall finished third in their competitive Channel League section against multiple state ranked teams. Juniors, Benjamin Callanan, Ashton Johnsen, Gage Minne and Cole Heckman even broke an eighteen year old record while competing at the prestigious 64th annual Mt. SAC Relays in the 4×1600 with a time of 18:27. However, they were far from the only ones who had a successful season, with a total of 14 individuals advancing on to CIF prelims. Senior sprinter Ava Carter said “We are all excited to compete at CIF and I’m looking forward to finishing off my senior season strong.” “This season has been good. It felt great to come out at Channel League Finals and finally break the Junior Record I’ve been going for. I’m looking forward to CIF and aiming to break fifteen seconds in 110mH,” added junior hurdler, Ethan Ball. 

Swim & Dive: 

The Royals came out on top for both boys and girls at their Channel League meets, ending the season with wins all around. Throughout League, on the boys side, the Royals had several swimmers to exceed in a variety of events with many CIF qualifying times. However, it was not only the boys who had an excellent season finale as a team of girls came out and broke a seven year old school record for the 200 medley relay. Junior, Sierra Tallman, a member of the relay team said this, “It was really exciting to break a record and we had a great team with everyone doing their part.” The team consisted of junior Tallman as well as Taylor Steelman, senior Makenna Stretz, and sophomore Sophia Hall who each gave it their all to achieve an incredible time of 1:45.99. Outside of the main season, there were a variety of other noteworthy performances from San Marcos Swimmers. Such as, sophomore Charlotte Raisin, who was named to the 15-player roster to play on the USA Water Polo Women’s Cadet National Team at the PanAm Aquatics U19 Water Polo Championships in El Salvador.  

Baseball: 

Baseball’s season was a homerun this year as the Royals end with a 14-12-1 overall record. Though splitting with both of their crosstown rivals–Santa Barbara and Dos Pueblos–the Royals still took second place in Channel League with a 9-4-1 record in an exciting matchup. On the final day of the regular season, the League title was still up in the air with three teams still in the running, however the Royals pulled through with a 4-1 win against Rio Mesa securing them the silver placement. Senior Dayne Dreste said, “We got off to a rough start but throughout the season we all grew together as a team and did way better than anyone expected, placing second in league and qualifying for CIF.” The boys are now advancing on to CIF with hopes of continuing their exciting season. 

Softball: 

With a 15-7 overall record, Softball finishes off an amazing season with a variety of different exciting games throughout their year. Concluding with a 9-5 record in Channel League, the Royals finished fourth in League and advanced on to CIF. During their season the girls defeated both Santa Barbara and Dos Pueblos with an especially exciting matchup against the Chargers at home on March 11 in a close battle ending with the Royals winning 4-3. “I think the season has been one of the best, especially in our team chemistry. We’re all doing our job, picking each other up, and are super happy and ready to continue our journey through CIF,” said senior Kamilah Morales. 

Boys Volleyball: 

Coach Kuntz ends his volleyball coaching career of 15 years with a bang as Boys Volleyball’s incredible season comes to a close. Advancing onto CIF, the team had an overall record of 32-3, taking home Channel League for the Royals. They defeated the Chargers both times they faced off and had an epic matchup with the Dons, splitting the rivalry in the end. Competing at a variety of high level Southern Section tournaments as well as championing the Dos Pueblos Invitational, the boys certainly had a memorable year. “Our season went great as we were Channel League Champions after winning a clutch game against Santa Barbara. The whole team bonded throughout the season and we are excited to move on to CIF,” said senior Mason Rice. “I’m glad to be a part of the talented Coach Kuntz’s dynasty,” added senior Charlie Magid. 

Girls Beach Volleyball: 

Ranked fifth overall in the Nation, Girls Beach Volleyball has had an incredible season. With an overall record of 20-3 and a 10-0 record in Channel League, the Royals easily took the League title, defeating both crosstown rivals in the process. They advanced all the way to the Quarterfinals of CIF, where they dropped a 4-1 decision against No. 5 Huntington Beach on their home courts, in a finale of their impressive season. “I think we had a great season and even though we didn’t make it all the way in CIF, I’m really proud of everyone on my team,” said senior Katherine Kracke. “I’m sad it’s my last year in such an amazing program and team.” 

Boys Lacrosse: 

Though the team got off to a rough start, Boys Lacrosse eventually found their rhythm and went on to have a great season. Starting weaker as the team was composed of many new players, they eventually found their rhythm and began to work well as a team. Soon enough everyone on the team fell in love with the sport and got familiar with one another, ending with a decent record and amazing teamwork. Their first win was against Royal High School and existed as a sort of turning point that kept them going the rest of the season. Junior Preston Fehr, said “I felt me as well as everyone else on the team definitely learned what it was like to be a leader as the season progressed and everyone saw improvement.”

Girls Lacrosse: 

Girls Lacrosse has had an amazing season this year, topping Channel League with a record of 10-0 and an overall record of 16-2. Many of the girls labeled this season as one of the best in the history of the program, and it is hard to disagree. The program has an incredibly close knit team, with good teamwork, and an amazing environment for the team to thrive. The team expects another incredible season to follow. Livanna Plourde, a junior on the team, agrees saying “I feel like we really have a supportive team environment and we’re all friends on and off the field, encouraging one another.” 

Boys Golf: 

Dominating the green, Boys Golf finished off their fourth in a row, undefeated season dominating both County and Channel League with an overall record of 14-0. On April 3, the team played the first of their crosstown rivals, Dos Pueblos, at the Glen Annie Golf Club. The match concluded with the Royals shooting 364 and the Chargers 380. Then on April 17, they achieved yet another big win against their other rival, Santa Barbara, finishing the match with a score of 374 to the Dons’ 412. As they enter the playoffs the team has high hopes of advancing to State. “We’ve been super successful as a team this year and we’re excited to maintain our good play as we start the playoffs,” said senior Shams Jahangir-Arshad. “As a senior, it has been an exciting season to be a part of.” Jahangir -Arshad, with his historic performance in Channel League was also awarded with the title of Channel League MVP to conclude his impressive senior season. Standing nine strokes ahead of the rest of the green, Jahangir-Arshad’s season conclusion was certainly one to remember. 

Boys Tennis: 

Boy Tennis stood as a force to be reckoned with throughout their entire season, as they concluded with a 15-5 overall record. Ending the regular season, the Royals dominated the Channel League tournament, taking home both the doubles and singles titles and defeating both Santa Barbara and Dos Pueblos, solidifying their League record at 11-0. With this performance, a total of six Royals were able to advance on to the CIF-SS Sectional Tournament. However, it is there, after an incredible run, that their season finally came to a close in the playoffs after facing Claremont. “We had a strong team this year with everyone pushing each other to be their very best,” said junior Henry Challen. 

An exciting conclusion to the 2023/2024 school year, San Marcos athletics has had an incredible spring season and stands as one to remember. We are certainly looking forward to witnessing more of our Royal athletes stepping up next year in the fall. Go Royals!