Presidential Perspective: Farewell, San Marcos!

Dear Royals,

Happy June, and CONGRATULATIONS! You’ve made it to the end of yet another school year. I feel so immensely proud of each of you, who have persevered through countless obstacles and consistently shown up for our school community. Whether or not you know it, we feel your impact and we are so blessed to have been able to witness your growth over the past year. Next year brings so many new opportunities, and I can’t wait to hear about all of your incredible accomplishments, on and off campus!

In the spirit of being in school for half of June, I’ll keep my address brief. There’s obviously so much I can say, but I think that I’ve summed it up in all of my earlier Presidential Perspectives. Our San Marcos community has been such a support for me over the past four years, and I am confident that I will take the lessons y’all have taught me wherever I go. I’m sure there are so many mixed emotions and feelings right now, and I’m here to tell you: I feel the same! I’ve never truly understood the meaning of “bittersweet” until this moment. I’m so excited to experience bigger and better opportunities, but I feel so much sorrow that I’ll be leaving so much behind. So many people, places, moments, feelings will become fleeting memories, and I know that many of you share this same sentiment.

This year, as ASB President, I’ve dedicated my efforts to fostering positive relationships with as many people as I can. My goal was to be a transparent, vulnerable, and empathetic support system for anyone who needed it. Whether or not I have reached that goal is for you all, as my peers, to decide. However, I can say with full confidence that I never gave up on building community. If there’s one impact I have on San Marcos, let it be that. I hope that each and every one of you sees the community that awaits you, but only if you actively pursue it. See yourself not as a tiny drop in a large ocean, but as a whole body of water converging with millions of others. Just as we assign meaning to other people, we are meaningful beings ourselves. I urge you to look for those who make you feel like you mean something beautiful. You are something beautiful. With that, I hope you enjoy a restful, rejuvenating, and fun summer!

Sincerely,

Kavya Suresh