Savoring Spring Break: Sleep, Wander, and Tune In

Benjamin Callanan
Inspiration Point is a great hike to do during Spring Break.

What we’ve all been waiting for since Winter Break is finally here: Spring Break. Many students will use this as an opportunity to travel the world, whether they are headed to Palm Springs or headed to Greece. For those of us who won’t be traveling, you may be left wondering – what is there to do over break? Here are some inexpensive, fun activities to give a try during the break:

#1 – Sleep! One of the most underrated activities on this list. Sleep has shown, time and time again, that it is one of the best in the game, due to its versatility for any time of the day. Catching up on sleep will almost certainly be one of my personal favorites, and it happens to be free as well. Be sure to try some sleeping this break.

#2 – Hiking: The bulk of the rain is over, so that means the trails around Santa Barbara will be beautiful and maintained as ever. Hiking is great, just get out of the house and explore nature, free of cost. Some staff recommendations include, but are not limited to: 7 Falls, Cold Springs, and the Gaviota Wind Tunnels. With a week off, there is sure to be a great sunset, and no better way to enjoy such a moment than to be on top of a mountain.

Lastly, #3 – Listening to music. Once again another versatile option here, one that you can enjoy alongside the other two activities, and one that is made so much better by being outside of school. Sophomore Jacob Brown said that it’s something he really looks forward to over break. 

“Thinking about Shakademik… That’s all I’m gonna be thinking about.” Brown is an avid music listener, and his favorite artist happens to be none other than San Marcos’ own, Shakir Ahmad.

While any of the three activities listed above will boost the quality of your Spring Break, there are plenty of other alternatives, because at the end of the day, Spring Break should just be about relaxing and getting a break from school, not trying to cram your days with as much as humanly possible. Do what makes you happy.