Girls Powerpuff Game brings the school community together!

Kyle Durflinger
Sizzling Snipers after their big win!

Last night in Warkentin Stadium, the San Marcos community came together in support of the girls’ Powerpuff game. Powder Puffs is a common tradition that brings grades 9-12 together for a game of fun and competition. The traditional flag football game is brought to a different level, as the freshman and juniors take on the sophomores and seniors, making the games more competitive and entertaining for everyone to enjoy. 

The Sizzling Snipers (sophomore/senior team) swept the win away from their opponents, the Baevens (freshman/junior team), in a landslide, winning 35-18 in the final score. The annual event brings the grades together for a game of fun and spirit, and it creates new bonds and friendships within different age groups.

Both teams brought high energy and enthusiasm heading into the match. 

“We were excited because last year we had the same group of girls, and it brought us all together again to send off the seniors,” said sophomore Isla McClintock. 

The sophomores and seniors started the game by taking the lead, scoring the first touchdown in the match. 

Their lead didn’t last for long as freshmen and juniors quickly responded. Josie Gamberdella and Elena Thomas, a dynamic duo on the field and the volleyball court, carried their team to a touchdown to tie the score. The combination of Gamberdella’s scramble plays and Thomas’s offensive dominance made the Sizzling Snipers work harder to create an elaborate plan to keep the lead. 

“The game was fun and exciting; I love how it brings the community together,” said sophomore Ceci Mock.

In the second half of the game, Rio Chesluck, a sophomore at San Marcos, had an amazing pick-six off of Gamberdella’s pass, adding six more points on the scoreboard, giving the Sizzling Snipers enough energy and motivation to finish the match and solidify their win. 

The Powerpuff annual game brings the school community together and is a fun way to create connections between the different grade groups. If you missed out on this year’s game, sign up for Powerpuff next year to see what it is all about and to experience this fun and exciting tradition.