Hoco Royal Crowned

SM Yearbook
Neal Ludlow was crowned this year’s Homecoming Royalty at the last football game.

On October 20, during halftime of the last football game of the school year, Neal Ludlow was crowned this year’s Homecoming Royalty. Ludlow was one of six members of the 2023 Homecoming Court; other candidates included Jolie Mardiat, Kathrine Garnica, Ximena Guzman Ibarra, Kassandra Angel, and Kavya Suresh. All six seniors were escorted in convertibles down the track to the football field, dressed formally and accompanied by a person of their choice. They then walked along a red carpet set out on the field, which the cheerleaders lined. Each contestant waited for the big announcement to be made.

He seemed to be the favorite candidate of the student section, with many students chanting his name (“Neal! Neal!”) before and after he was crowned. He was accompanied by his grandmother while the song “Seven Years” by Lukas Graham played.

Prior to his win, Ludlow had said that his fellow students should vote for him because he is “the true embodiment of a Royal.” He described himself as being very involved in rallies, games, and other school activities that are high in school spirit since he also said he has “a bunch of school spirit for this school.” Ludlow is on the San Marcos Swim team, in the Royal Science Society Club, surfs, and mountain bikes as well. 

After being crowned, Neal said, “I feel amazing! I am so happy everybody voted for me. Everybody is beautiful, I love San Marcos, and I hope everybody has an amazing rest of the year. Go Royals!”