Best Holiday Movies

Macaulay Culkin stars as Kevin in the beloved Christmas movie series “Home Alone.” (Roman Trovato)

It’s the most wonderful time of the year, and that means it’s the perfect time to snuggle up to watch a Christmas movie. There are hundreds to choose from, but here are a few of the most popular movies that I would recommend. They are all rated PG (except for one which is PG-13), so you can watch them with younger siblings or cousins if family is in town. These movies pair perfectly with hot chocolate and a rainy day or a sleepover during winter break. 

• Home Alone

Starting off strong with an absolute classic, Home Alone. Ever since its release in 1990, the tale of an 8 year-old boy left behind during a family vacation has charmed families. When Kevin is forgotten after a stressful morning, he thinks he made his family disappear! He is excited at first, but then he notices some strange stuff going on. While his mom is traveling home, Kevin is protecting his home in the most creative ways he can think of. This heartwarming movie is a must watch for the holiday season!

• Elf

Elf has had a cult following ever since it came out. This is one of the funniest Christmas movies out there, and Will Ferrell’s performance has kept fans coming back for years. The main character, Buddy, is a human who was raised by elves in the North Pole. He goes to New York to search for his father, but has no idea how to behave in the human world, which makes for some very iconic scenes.

• The Grinch

The Grinch is one of the most well known villains of Christmas. There are 3 different versions of the movie, and it’s widely debated which one is the best. The Grinch hates Christmas and is determined to steal Christmas from the town of Whoville. He ends up encountering the young Cindy Lou Who, falling into her trap to catch Santa.

• Christmas Chronicles

This is the newest movie on the list, having been released in 2018, but it was a big hit. The movie, which also has a sequel, is the story of two siblings who recently lost their father. The sister, Kate, is trying to catch Santa, but ends up almost ruining Christmas. They have to help Santa the night of Christmas Eve on a wild adventure that ends up bringing their whole family closer together. This movie is super sweet and great to watch with younger siblings and friends!

• Christmas Vacation

Christmas Vacation is part of the National Lampoon movie series following the Griswold family. Clark Griswold is trying to make the perfect Christmas for his family, but everything goes wrong. From constant family fighting to the insane cousin Eddie, this movie is hilarious in every sense.

These five movies are great options for a variety of occasions. “I love watching Christmas movies because they’re really comforting whenever I’m stressed out or tired,” said sophomore Gemma Cooper. Hopefully you will enjoy at least one of these movies this season!