Vegan Fall Treats

It is finally October, and that calls for some delicious fall treats! Did you know that you can enjoy countless sweet treats that do not contain dairy or animal products?  Many people assume that nothing will taste good without dairy products in it, but that is very untrue. Vegan and dairy free sweets are just as mouth-watering and delectable, So this Spooky Season, give some of them a try!

“I definitely think that fall treats can still be enjoyed even though they are vegan. Every vegan dessert I have brought to parties, people have loved even though they are not vegan themselves” said SM senior Chloe Kossen. She described some of the vegan fall desserts that enjoys making, “I have made plenty of vegan fall desserts such as apple crisp, pumpkin spice latte cookies, cinnamon rolls, pumpkin pie cheesecake, and more.”

One of the best parts about October is Pumpkins. Carving them, the scent of them, decorating with them, and most importantly, the taste of them. Vegan pumpkin-flavored desserts are oh-so comforting and a perfect way to enjoy the month of October.

A favorite recipe of mine is Vegan Chocolate Chip Pumpkin bread. My family has devoured it every time I make it, and it does not disappoint. This loaf of deliciousness fills your mouth with a vibrant and flavorful taste of pumpkin as soon as you take your first bite. The chocolate chips are an optional add in, but they are sure to satisfy any chocolate cravings you may experience. The recipe is very simple, it takes just ten minutes to mix all of the ingredients together. While the bread has to be baked for one hour and fifteen minutes, it is worth the wait. It is perfect for a breakfast on the go or an afternoon snack, here is the recipe if you want to give it a try!

Wet ingredients:

• 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds
  • 2.5 tablespoons water
  • 15 ounces canned pumpkin purée
  • 1 ¼ cups brown sugar
  • ½ cup canola oil 
  • ¼ cup soy milk

Dry ingredients:

• 1 ¾ cups all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon 
  • ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • ¼ teaspoon ground cloves

Topping:

½ cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)

Instructions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350° F and grease a loaf pan.
  2. In a small bowl, combine the ground flaxseed and water. Set aside to thicken; this is your flax egg.
  3. In a large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, brown sugar, canola oil, flax egg and soy milk until smooth.
  4. Add the flour, then sprinkle the baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves on top of the flour. Stir with a large spoon or spatula, gently, until just combined. Do not over mix.
  5. Pour into the prepared pan and sprinkle the pepitas on top. Bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
  6. Let it cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes, then transfer the loaf to a cooling rack. Slice carefully right away, or let cool completely for easier slicing and serving.

The next wonderful Vegan fall treat I recommend is Apple Crisp Muffins. These muffins feature another fruit that is very tasty in fall, Apples. Crispy and sweet, you will not regret indulging in these Apple Crisp Muffins. The list of ingredients is long, but that is a good thing, because it means the final product will be delicious. If you are looking for a fall breakfast, these muffins are your go to choice. Sprinkled with cinnamon or spread with fresh strawberry jam, your taste buds will definitely be satisfied thoroughly when you sink your teeth into one.Here is the recipe: 

Ingredients:

TOPPING:

• ½ cup white whole wheat flour
  • ¼ cup granulated cane sugar
  • ¼ cup brown sugar
  • ⅓ cup rolled oats
  • ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • ⅛ teaspoon fine sea salt
  • 5 tablespoons cold vegan butter, chopped into small pieces
  • MUFFINS:
  • 1 tablespoon vegan butter
  • 2 cups small diced apples (from approximately 2 small-ish apples)
  • 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
  • ¾ cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
  • ¾ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
  • 1 ½ teaspoons ground flax seeds
  • 2 cups white whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup brown sugar (not packed)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
  • ⅛ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
  • 6 tablespoons sunflower oil (or other neutral-tasting oil of choice)
  • 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
  • Instructions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a standard muffin tin, or apply paper/silicone liners to the cups.
  2. Make the topping. In a medium bowl, combine the ½ white whole wheat flour, cane sugar, brown sugar, oats, cinnamon, sea salt, and vegan butter. Using a spoon, stir everything together to get the vegan butter pieces coated in the flour mixture. Then, using your hands, start combining the mixture by pressing the pieces of butter between your fingers. Keep going until you have a slightly wet sand-like texture and a uniform, crumbly consistency. Set the topping aside in the fridge.
  3. Place a small sauté pan over medium heat. Add the tablespoon of vegan butter to the pan and swirl it around. Add the chopped apples to the pan along with ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon. Stir to combine. Keep sautéing the apples until they are slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Take the apples off the heat and allow them to cool slightly.
  4. In a small bowl, combine the non-dairy milk, apple cider vinegar, and ground flax seeds. Stir to combine and set aside for 5 minutes.
  5. In a large bowl, combine white whole wheat flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt, nutmeg, and the remaining 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon. Stir to combine.
  6. In the small bowl with the non-dairy milk and flax mixture, whisk in the sunflower oil, applesauce, vanilla, and lemon zest. Once combined, add that mixture to the large bowl with the flour mixture. Add about ⅔ of the sautéed apples to the bowl as well. Using a rubber spatula, stir everything together until JUST combined and there are no large pockets of dry ingredients.
  7. Using a ⅓ cup measure, portion out the muffin batter evenly into all of the muffin cups. Top the portions of batter with the remaining sautéed apples. Retrieve the oat topping from the fridge and evenly distribute it amongst the tops of the muffins. This is a fair amount of topping, so you’ll have to push it into the tops of the muffins.
  8. Bake the muffins until the tops are golden brown and a paring knife inserted into the center of one comes out clean, about 20-25 minutes. Let the muffins cool completely in the pan before enjoying

Another recipe filled with cozy fall flavors is Vegan Carrot Cake Muffins. They are perfect to enjoy with a cup of tea on a cold, rainy day. Carrots are packed with health benefits and taste great in many desserts, so this recipe is definitely something you should give a try. 

Ingredients:

• 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
  • 5 tablespoons water
  • 1 3/4 cups oat flour*
  • 1/4 cup rolled oats
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 2 tablespoons neutral oil (canola, avocado, grapeseed)
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup carrots, grated or finely chopped
  • 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
  • 1/4 cup raisins

Instructions:

1. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin pan.
  2. In a medium bowl, place the flax and water. Stir; set aside for 5 minutes.
  3. In a large bowl, add oat flour, oats, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt. Whisk to combine.
  4. Into the flax minute, add applesauce, oil, milk, sugar, and vanilla. Whisk until fully combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture. Stir together until the batter is just mixed together.
  5. Add the carrots, walnuts, and raisins; gently fold into the batter.
  6. Pour batter into the muffin cups.
  7. Bake for 7 minutes at 425°F, then reduce temperature to 375°F and bake for 20-22 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
  8. Let the muffins cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes.

Now that you have gotten some inspiration for vegan fall treats, it’s time for you to get in the kitchen, light some fall scented candles, and get to baking!