Interviewing SBIFF Celebrities

Roman Trovato
Editors-in-Chief Noelle and Evelina snag an interview with Charles Melton.

Starting last week, Santa Barbara has hosted a multitude of celebrities, ranging from Mark Ruffalo and Emma Stone to Billie Eilish and Finneas, for the Santa Barbara International Film Festival. As journalists, the King’s Page editors had the privilege of attending the festival and interviewing celebrities as they made their way through the red carpet. Many of those who were not at the festival may be wondering what the celebrities were like when speaking with fans and press, so here is our list of how these celebrities interacted with King’s Page editors. 

Mark Ruffalo

Mark Ruffalo was one of the nicest celebrities I have ever met and was undoubtedly one of the highlights of the festival. He was the last celebrity of the night to arrive, with castmate and Poor Things star Emma Stone walking the carpet before him. When he arrived, he took the time to speak to, shake hands with, and even hug all of his fans who were gathered in front of the theater. The duration of the red carpet seeped into the event, so the other editors and I were unsure if Mark Ruffalo would have time to take questions. When he reached the press, he went down the line of journalists, many of whom were from local schools, shaking hands, listening, and responding thoughtfully to each question. When he reached the King’s Page editors, he answered our question and was overall incredibly kind. For such a big movie star and accomplished actor, he still seemed humble and considerate.

Jane Lynch

Jane Lynch made a suprise appearance at the fourth night of the festival. She presented the Virtuoso Award to the six recipients. As a Santa Barbarian, Jane Lynch made sure to speak to the student press. She retained the humorous and kind nature she portrays in so many of her characters, held hands with fans, and was very engaging and happily answered each question. As everyone sat in the Arlington Theater, waiting for the event to commence, she was seen walking through the aisles of people, greeting them. Later into the night, when she gave her speech before passing out the awards, she gave a shout out to the student journalists. She was funny and a celebrity whom I would love to meet again. 

Billie Eilish

On day five of the festival, Billie Eilish attended alongside her brother and songwriting partner, Finneas, to receive an award for her Grammy-winning song created for the Barbie movie, “What Was I Made For?” Her attendance attracted a large crowd of fans, who could be heard screaming her name as she arrived. After visiting with her fans, she approached the red carpet for pictures. Unfortunately for us, she was unable to take questions with the student press, but said “hi guys” to us all as she passed by. This simple acknowledgement was deeply appreciated by myself and the other journalists present, and she seemed like a very kind and down to earth person. 

Charles Melton

Charles Melton, star of the movie May December, and also well known for his role in TV show Riverdale, was a recipient of the Virtuoso Award on the fourth night. After greeting fans and walking the red carpet, we had the privilege of interviewing him. He was friendly as well as focused, with attentive eye contact, and made sure to speak to each publication there. 

America Ferrera

Actress America Ferrera also received the Virtuoso Award on night four, for her moving performance in Barbie. Once again, the duration of the red carpet was running a bit longer than anticipated, but she was able to take a few questions with the press. I did not get to ask her a question myself, but a nearby publication did, and I was able to hear her response. As a person, she was very calm and collected, and answered thoughtfully. 

Andrew Scott

Andrew Scott, star of recent movie All of Us Strangers, was a recipient of the Virtuoso Award on night four as well. He is well known for his roles in TV shows Fleabag and Sherlock. As he made his way across the red carpet, a student journalist called out for him to answer a question. In response, he apologetically explained that he was unable to take questions. Although not being able to interview him was a disappointment, he was sweet about it.

Cillian Murphy, Robert Downey Jr, Rob Lowe, Lily Gladstone, Greta Lee, Emma Stone, and more

All of the rest of the most well-known celebrities at the festival were unable to take questions. Since they did not say anything to the student press, I am unable to comment on them.

While there has been plenty of excitement surrounding the film festival already, there are still plenty more days to look forward to featuring Jeffrey Wright, Annette Bening, surprise celebrities, and more. With a space outside of the Arlington Theater open to the public, fans have the opportunity to meet these celebrities too.