Singin’ in the Rain Preview at the Granada

Since 1924, the Granada Theater has entertained the audiences of Santa Barbara with spectacular venues ranging from ballets and classical plays to “Weird Al” Yankovic and Blue Öyster Cult. To mark the Granada’s rich history of performing arts turning 100 years old, San Marcos, Santa Barbara, and Dos Pueblos high schools, several guest artists, as well as local high school theater production company “Euphony” showcased a series of sneak-peak performances on April 14 for their upcoming plays including San Marcos High School’s Singin’ in the Rain

The cast of Singin’ in the Rain dawns the musical’s signature yellow rain jackets.
(Roman Trovato)

The SMHS theater department performed two songs: Moses Supposes and Singin’ in the Rain. The lyrics and performance of Moses Supposes revolve around the tongue twister “moses supposes his toeses are roses,” which sets up the energetic back-and-forth choreography between character Don and Cosmo. The dances and moves involve the movement and rearrangement of multiple chairs around which the actors jump and perform several acrobatic moves. Singin in the Rain, the performance that holds the namesake of the play, featured a grand display of yellow raincoats worn by the entire cast, surrounding the black umbrella-wielding leads.

“I think I’m most excited to see the audience’s reaction to this older production, and for them to see such a lively performance,” said stage manager senior Lila Clarke. She also added, “We are also producing special effects that have never been attempted at SM before.”

As outstanding as the performance that we were able to see at the Granada was, it is clear that we have only seen a glimpse of the excitement around this play. Singin’ in the Rain opens May 2 until the 11th.