Mammoth Mountain 

Mammoth Mountain 

As the weather is getting colder, and the air is crisp, though we do not experience full on seasons in Santa Barbara, just a mere six hour drive away rests the snowy delight of the Sierra Nevada’s very own Mammoth Mountain. 

Good news, because of the recent stormy weather, November 5th is a great day to celebrate the opening of the 2022/2023 winter season. 

Photo courtesy of SM King’s Page

At 11,053 feet, the highest summit in all of California, Mammoth Mountain is known for some of the best skiing and snowboarding in all of the United States. The season stretches from mid-November to early June, has 3,500 skiable acres, 25 chair lifts (including the gondola), 175 named trail runs and gets on average 400 inches of snowfall per year, while also having about 300 days of sunshine per year.  

The winter months include endless fun of skiing, snowboarding, tubing, snowmobiling, cross country skiing, and snowshoeing. Whether you’re an avid skier or you have never been before, Mammoth has it all from bunny slopes to double black diamonds. Or if you are not into hitting the slopes, just ride the gondola to the top to see the 360 degree breathtaking views of the entire town, and the eastern Sierras. You can take a picture with the world famous Mammoth Mountain sign, with the gorgeous Minarets sitting in the background.

It turns out that Mammoth is a favorite place for many San Marcos students. Senior Ryan Ewart said, “Mammoth Mountain has been my favorite winter location for the past few years, can’t wait to get back out there.”

Along with that, Senior Justin Hess said,“Every year I look forward to going up to Mammoth with some friends and snowboarding. It’s been super fun being able to consistently go all over the mountain with the fresh snow!”

Mammoth Mountain is the perfect place for a wintery vacation, and if you’re lucky enough and time it right you may even get to see it snow. 

Mammoth is definitely not the most affordable place, so if you are looking for a fun weekend to play in the snow you can head just another 45 minutes up the road to June Mountain. Or, if you are looking to have access to both these mountains and more, purchasing the Ikon Pass is a great option, and works at ski resorts all over the United States. All in all, make sure to visit at least once in your lifetime.