Adopt a Cat from ASAP this October!

Are you looking for something comforting this October? Look no further than adopting a cat from ASAP Cats! There are so many precious cats and kittens at the ASAP shelter, patiently waiting for someone to give them their forever home. With the fall season approaching quickly, what better way to enjoy it than by laying on your bed and drinking a cup of tea, with a warm, fuzzy cat on your lap? Welcoming a cat into your family is a perfect idea to make fall even more comforting than it already is.

ASAP has a variety of cats to choose from. There are adorable kittens, some of which are only a few weeks old. There are playful teenager cats, with ages ranging from three to nine years old. There are sweet older cats, many who are nearly 20 years old. At ASAP, there is a cat for everybody. 

Various students at San Marcos are volunteers at ASAP as well. 

“I have enjoyed being a volunteer at ASAP. I recommend that students and staff at San Marcos adopt a cat from ASAP if they love cats and have the time, space, and resources to care for one!” said San Marcos sophomore Vivian Smith. 

She volunteers at ASAP on Sunday mornings, and has had an amazing experience as a volunteer.

The shelter has so many cats that are looking for a place to call home. Most of these cats have lived on the streets;many have suffered injuries and health challenges due to their living circumstances before they came to ASAP. Many are shy and afraid when they first come to the shelter. Anxiety is common for shelter cats, and they may seem like they are showcasing an unfriendly nature by concealing their affection with fear of human interaction. They may have been hurt by humans before, so humans sticking their fingers through the cage often frightens shelter cats. Despite this, every single cat not only at ASAP but anywhere on this planet deserves a bed to sleep on, an owner’s love, a true home. 

There are countless cats that have been living at ASAP for months, nearly years on end, and they are still looking for a home. Most of these cats are of an older age. When people are looking to adopt a cat, they almost never choose a cat that is older, because they know that the cat will not live as long as a younger cat or a kitten. This is very heartbreaking for older cats. They deserve a home just as much as a younger cat. Any type of assumption like that is 100% not true, older cats have so much love to give to you. Even if they are not as playful or energetic as a young cat, they are worthy of a home and will be appreciative of any kind person who adopts them!

Of course, you must keep your options open when it comes to adopting a cat. You need to pick the cat that you feel the most comfortable with. Visiting the shelter and interacting with the cats is a very important factor in the adoption process. It will not be a positive experience to end up with a cat who you do not connect with, and a cat who does not connect with you. 

ASAP offers specific hours where you can visit the shelter and explore your options if you are interested in adopting. Their walk-in hours are Monday through Thursday from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., and Saturdays from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. If you decide to visit, you will certainly not regret your decision. The volunteers and staff at ASAP are friendly, patient, and understanding. They will greet you with a smile, show you around the shelter, and answer any questions you may have. You will be given the opportunity to wander around the shelter and interact with the cats, after being told the rules. You may just find a cat that you want to take home that day. ASAP volunteers and staff members are experienced experts on all things cats, and will give you the proper instructions and information that is needed for adopting a cat. 

The cat adoption process seems like a long and complicated one, but it actually is fairly simple. The first step is filling out an online application on the ASAP cats website, (asapcats.org). Then, you are to talk with an Adoption Match Maker, which is a staff member at ASAP that is in charge of answering any questions regarding the application and discussing with you about what cats are available for adoption. You will also talk with them about the type of cat you are looking for, and set up an appointment to visit the shelter and hopefully find your furry best friend. If you do end up finding the perfect cat for you, the adoption fee is $75, and many necessary surgeries like spaying or neutering, flea treatment, and deworming, as well as health evaluations and microchipping, are already paid for when you adopt the cat.

Overall, adopting a cat is a great decision to make, especially this fall when everybody is in need of a comforting presence in their life. Cats are beautiful animals, and loving pets. They are perfect companions, and they are very smart. They are devoted to their owners and their home, and will do whatever it takes to protect those two things. Owning a cat is beneficial for your mental health, as well as your emotional health. Petting a cat, cuddling a cat, or even just being around a cat helps to calm anxiety. Multiple studies show and prove that stress can be relieved, and your mind feels much more at peace as a result of spending time with a cat, especially if your cat is purring. Purring is how cats showcase their happiness and affection toward their humans, and it is also proven to lower stress levels significantly. Cats purr in a range of twenty to one-hundred forty hz, which can be medically therapeutic for many illnesses. It can also lower blood pressure, stabilize breathing, heal infections and even potentially heal bones. 

Cats are also wonderful companions. We all love the feeling of having a companion, even more so if the companion is a furry one. It is proven that having a cat can improve feelings of loneliness in humans, and give them a purpose in their life. That purpose is to care for their cat and give their cat an amazing life, the responsibility of caring for the cat will make them become more responsible in their own self care as well. 

“Adopting a cat is a way to make a huge positive difference in the life of a cat. ASAP is an open admissions shelter, and is the stray shelter for the southern part of Santa Barbara County; we have many cats and turn few away. To adopt from us is to give a deserving cat a second chance at a happy and fulfilled life,” said Mary Scott, the lead volunteer for the Wednesday afternoon shift at ASAP. 

There are so many positive factors in adopting a cat, and the ASAP cat shelter is the place to go. The process is easy, the cats are adorable, and the outcome is an amazing one; you will find yourself with your very own best friend in the form of a cat. With all of that being said, it is highly recommended that you consider adopting a cat from ASAP this fall season!