Shakademik set to perform at Spring Fling

SM King’s Page
Shakadmik singing in the Greek Theatre

Very few things are certain in life: birth, death, and Shakir Ahmad (better known as Shakademik) returning to his high school for a concert. Lucky for us, neither of the first two is happening now. Despite graduating in 2022, with only half of current students knowing his name, it has been confirmed that the one and only Shakademik will be coming back for another go. 

Since debuting as a reporter on Drexel News (Drexel University’s spinoffs of Royal Report and The King’s Page) the epidemic of Shakademik has spread like wildfire, catching the attention of many record labels such as Big City Records and The Pluto Music Company. 

Even President Joe Biden, a Pennsylvania native, has found appeal to Shakademik’s music. 

“I bang with this music,” Biden said. “Ever since Young Thug got locked up, I’ve been searching for something like it. This hits the spot.”

Due to the support of many around him, and the potential belief that he is still enrolled at San Marcos, he has decided to return during this Spring Break, and provide some much-needed live music for the upcoming Spring Fling. It should be a nice change of pace from the typical EDM music played, though unfortunately there will still be some of that, for those who aren’t into a live performance.

Although the Spring Fling isn’t until after spring break, Shak has quietly leaked the discography of his expected setlist. The title of this performance, you may ask? “The Final ShaConcert: For Real This Time (Actually, The last time) (Seriously, the last time.)” 

For a show as prestigious as this, the songs are just what you’d expect. If you guessed “Royals!” and “She’s a Mean Girl… And I Like it” you’re in luck. Those two will be played all night long, until you’re singing them word for word and you can’t think about anything else. Accompanied by these two “bangers” as one may put it are a few of his more well-known songs, like The ShaCowboy Boogie and Hush Little Mama (Josh Hahs please save us and sing that one again).

I have covertly been asking San Marcos students about how they feel about this concert, and I have gotten nothing but positive feedback. 

Junior Cole Heckman was the most excited of anyone. 

He said, “I am so happy he’s coming back. Listening to the one and only Shakademik gets taken for granted way too often. That guy is making it out of the 805.”

The San Marcos Royal Pride Foundation has generously said that tickets to the Spring Fling will also cover tickets to this last (maybe last) iteration of the ShaConcert. Shakademik has also said that the first 50 people will be receiving a signed ShaShirt. The venue looks to be sold out, so be sure to get your tickets as soon as possible!