Jazz Band’s Big Win in Chicago

Jazz band and director Michael Kiyoi gather post-competition holding their well earned awards.

When one walks inside of the band room on campus, it’s hard not to notice the presence of awards. The overhanging shelves are practically overflowing, spare trophies are found stuffed in any instrument lockers with room. During recent music competitions and events, as well as for the past couple of years, the SMHS Jazz Band has proven themselves as one of the most accomplished performing arts groups in town. 

Last Thursday, on April 11, band director Kiyoi and his students departed from LAX to Chicago to perform at this year’s WorldStrides Chicago Heritage Festival, one Chicago’s largest performing arts events featuring bands, art galleries, as well as choirs. 

After some sightseeing and exploring done in the city, the SMHS jazz band headed to Bolingbrook High School to make preparations to play in front of several judges. After the performance of all 12 high schools, including Stillwater High School which is revered as one of the best high school jazz bands in the country, SMHS received their scores with great success. The judges awarded mostly mid to high 90’s as well as a perfect 100 score.  They were presented a GOLD rating, the SPIRIT award, the OVATION award to Joshlin Santos(received by only one student in the entire competition), awards for musical excellence were given to Eliel Pozos and Lucas Carrara, the ADJUDICATOR award, and the first place position. 

“I felt shocked because they were giving out three of these awards and our alto sax soloist Eliel had just won one before me and we really had no context as to how the judges decided these awards. But ultimately it all blurred together because of how accomplished I had felt when I received it,” said Lucas Carrara, recipient of an award for outstanding performance with the trombone. 

The band returned to campus on Sunday evening, where they celebrated by adding six new trophies to their already grand collection.